Hello! If you are considering applying for GP training then this blog is for you! For our MSRA Gold Pass Package, MSRA Online courses, Audiobook Courses and Mock Exams click here. To watch back our latest free MSRA ‘2-week hit’ Webinar (from 19th January 2021) click here. What it covers: ✓ Basics of GP Entry …
MRCGP International: What it is and How to Prepare
If you are preparing for MRCGP International this blog is for you!
What is covered?
- MRCGP UK vs MRCGP International
- Global Exam Centres
- Eligibility Criteria
- Assessment Format
- Our MRCGP International Resources
- Resource Feedback
- On a Final Note…
MRCGP UK vs MRCGP International
MRCGP UK consists of three components – AKT (Applied Knowledge Test), CSA (Clinical Skills Assessment) and WBPA (workplace Based Assessment) and is completed within a UK GP Training Scheme. Completion is necessary for a doctor to complete training in General Practice, allowing them to work as an independent GP in the UK. Doctors who are not part of a UK GP training scheme cannot take the exam.
MRCGP International is an examination that allows a doctor living outside the UK to become an International Member of the Royal College of GPs. It does not allow someone to practice in the UK as a GP.
If you complete MRCGP International it allows you:
- to use the post nominal ‘MRCGP (Int)’
- inclusion in the RCGP Membership directory
- use RCGP Membership benefits
Global Exam Centres
- South Asia (Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka)
The exam is accredited by RCGP but the exam curriculum is unique to the country that the exam is held in – it is different to the MRCGP UK curriculum.
Each exam is based on local medical practices and is suitable for doctors who currently work in, or plan to work in that specific country.
Each global centre has different criteria for eligibility. These vary but can be based on previous qualifications, duration of working in Primary Care and being enrolled on certain training programmes.
For full details see the RCGP website for each country’s individual requirements.
What does MRCGP assessment consist of?
The nature of assessment varies from country to country (check individual country websites) but it usually consists of a combination of the following:
- AKT (Applied Knowledge Test) / Part 1
- CSA (Clinical Skills Assessment) / OSCE Assessment
- SS (Simulated Surgery)
- WBPA (Workplace Based Assessment)
Resources useful for MRCGP International
We regularly see doctors preparing for MRCGP International using our online and audio courses as part of preparation. Whilst our products are tailored for MRCGP UK a huge part is relevant to Primary Care globally and hence MRCGP International.
All of our teaching is based around UK guidelines and is regularly updated – again ideal for MRCGP International.
Our most popular products for doctors preparing for MRCGP International:
1) AKT Clinical Crammer Online Course: A focused 9+ hour online course to be accessed from home. Either 1, 3, 6 or 12 month subscription choices, it can be watched and re-watched as and when you like – full PDF slide packages with notes can be requested as well. Focuses on all core clinical areas needed for AKT in chapter format – cardiology, neurology etc. Presentations, investigations, guidelines all covered. Watch a 30 minute sample here.
2) CSA-125 Online Course: 125 CSA-type scenarios broken down in an intense 6+ hour online training course. I break down the most common presentations, situations and scenarios in terms of data gathering, interpersonal and management. Includes key red flags, up-to-date guidelines, relevant psychosocial links as well as options for shared management. Watch-back, pause and rewind as many times as you like throughout a 1, 3, 6 or 12 month subscription option. Full details of coverage here.
3) AKT Clinical On-the-Go Audiobook Course: This is a fully guided 7+ hour audio revision course designed to download to your phone and listen to as many times as you like. It can be used online or offline and all updated versions are available for free going forward. Focuses on all core clinical areas needed for AKT in chapter format – cardiology, respiratory etc. Presentations, investigations, guidelines all covered. Designed to increase the efficiency of your preparation eg learning whilst commuting, shopping etc. Free samples are here.
4) CSA On-the-Go Audiobook Course: 5+ hours of pure audio teaching, breaking down 100 core CSA-type scenarios, focusing on all 3 key elements – data gathering, interpersonal and clinical management – including all key red flags and guidelines. Designed to download to your phone or tablet, to listen to online or offline, with no expiry. Increase your efficiency whilst listening and preparing whilst commuting or out and about. All future updated versions come free. Listen to a free sample here.
5) Medical ‘How to Explain’ Audiobook Course. 220+ medical conditions, diagnoses, tests and treatments explained in there most simple terms, ideal to use in your CSA International exam. Improve the quality of your scenarios by breaking down your explanations into patient-friendly language. Also designed to download to your phone or tablet, to listen to online or offline, with no expiry. Increase your efficiency whilst listening and preparing whilst commuting or out and about. All future updated versions come free. Listen to a free sample here.
6) Online CSA Case Bank for study group practice. Designed to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of your role-plays in study groups. Designed for use with medical colleagues as well as non-medics as well. Use through your phone, tablet or laptop, wherever you are – no need for books or folders. Separate tabs for the ‘doctor’, ‘patient’ and key discussion/learning. For a demo of what it is like click here.
7) AKT Super Statistics Online Course: A focused online Medical Statistics course to be accessed from home. Either 1, 3, 6 or 12 month subscription choices, it can be watched and re-watched as and when you like – full PDF slide packages with notes can be requested as well. Focuses on all key statistics principles needed for AKT if Statistics is assessed in your MRCGP Int exam – Research techniques, medical calculations, graphs – it is all covered. Watch a 10 minute sample here.
Feedback for our resources
“Hello Doctor – pleased to let you know I passed MRCGP International exams. Your online courses were very helpful for me – thank you for creating them”
“Dr Aman I cleared MRCGP-Int thanks to your online material. So clear and focused – a great help”
“I did not think the audio courses would help but purchased from recommendation of a colleague. They really helped me pass, especially through listening on my long journey’s to work”
On a final note
I wish you good luck in your preparation for MRCGP International – I am sure you will pass with flying colours.
I have been lucky enough to help many doctors on this journey – hopefully I can do the same for you as well.
Dr Aman’s free revision video direct to your inbox every evening!
Other blogs that may interest you
If you are preparing for MSRA – either for GP or Speciality Entry – this blog is for you! For our MSRA Gold Pass Package, Audiobook Courses, Online Courses, Mock Exams and Clinical Flash Cards click here: MSRA Resources To watch back our latest free MSRA ‘2-week hit’ Webinar (from 19th January 2021) click here. …
Hello! If you are planning to sit the PLAB 1 exam then this blog is for you. I cover what it is, what to expect and how to prepare – my aim is to help as many of you as I can through this potentially tricky exam. Having been a GMC PLAB 2 examiner, and …