Hello! If you are considering applying for GP training then this blog is for you! For our ultimate and most comprehensive All-in-One MSRA Gold Pass Package for GP Entry, click here. To watch back our last MSRA ‘2 week check webinar’ from August 2021 click here: https://youtu.be/5dDjJBpFsGc. To join our National GP Training Support group for daily GP Entry …
How to Get Into UK GP Training (UK-trained or IMG doctor)
Hello! If you are considering applying for GP training then this blog is for you!
To watch back our last MSRA ‘2 week check webinar’ from August 2021 click here: https://youtu.be/5dDjJBpFsGc.
What this blog covers:
✓ Basics of GP Entry
✓ Eligibility to apply
✓ The application stages
✓ Important dates for current/next round
✓ What happens in GP training
Basics of GP training Entry
✓ The GP Entry process is managed nationally by the GPNRO (GP National Recruitment Office).
✓ The recruitment process takes place 3 times a year – twice for jobs starting in August (Round 1 and Round 1 re-advert) and once for jobs starting in February (Round 2).
✓ It is a highly competitive process taking into account your overall score in the MSRA assessment.
Eligibility for application includes:
✓ Must have a basic medical qualification eg MBBS, MbChB.
✓ Must be eligible to work in UK.
✓ Must have full registration from GMC, with a licence to practice by the time your job starts.
✓ Must have evidence of having met UK Foundation Competencies (eg through being on the UK Foundation Year programme or through a Consultant signing a CREST 2021 (Certificate of Readiness to Enter Specialty Training) form. For details on this form click here.
✓ Must have at least 2 years clinical experience by the time training starts (UK or abroad).
✓ For full details of eligibility see here.
The 2 GP training Application Stages
Stage 1: Long-listing period
✓ Occurs via application through Oriel
✓ To be long-listed, you need to meet the eligibility criteria described above
Stage 2: Specialty Recruitment Assessment (SRA / MSRA / GP Stage 2)
✓ Consists of a computer-based exam with two components
a) clinical questions
b) professional dilemma questions.
✓ All questions are in multiple choice format.
✓ Clinical problem solving paper (CPS) – 97 clinical questions in 75 minutes.
✓ Professional dilemma paper (SJT) – 50 Situational Judgement Test questions in 95 minutes.
✓ Your MSRA Score counts for 100% of your GP Entry application score as there is currently no GP Stage 3 Assessments taking place.
✓ For a full overview of the MSRA assessment, how to prepare as well as example questions click here to read our MSRA blog.
For our ultimate and most comprehensive MSRA Gold Pass Package click here.
For our time-saving MSRA SJT and Clinical Audiobook Courses, click here.
For our concise MSRA Clinical Crammer Online Course click here.
For our focused MSRA SJT and Clinical Mock Exams click here.
For our quick teaching Clinical Flash Cards click here.
On ‘results publication day’
✓ You will be notified of your final results and National rank through Oriel.
✓ Currently your final result is based purely on MSRA (100%) as there is no Stage 3 Assessment during Covid-19.
Important dates for current round (Round 2, February 2022 start)
✓ Applications open: 27th July 2021
✓ MSRA assessment: 3rd-10th September 2021
✓ Job offers: From 21st September 2021
✓ Start date: 2nd February 2022
Important dates for next round (Round 1, August 2022 start)
✓ Applications open: 4th November 2021
✓ MSRA assessment: TBC – likely January 2022
✓ Job offers: TBC
✓ Start date: Likely 3rd August 2022
How we can help you get into GP Training
Our popular and comprehensive MSRA Gold Pass Package contains an all round and complete preparation plan for boosting your MSRA score. It contains all of the below courses and products in one discounted bundle.
1) Our MSRA Clinical Crammer Online Course. 9+ of core clinical teaching teaching that you watch, pause and rewind as many times as you like. 1, 3, 6 or 12 month subscription options. For a free video sample click here.
2) Our MSRA Clinical Crammer Audiobook Course. 6+ hours of focused clinical teaching, mapping the SRA blueprint syllabus. Designed to listen to as many times as you like, offline or online. No expiry. For a free sample click here.
3) Our MSRA SJT Principles Audiobook Course. 1 hour audio course focused on breaking down the GMC’s Good Medical Practice guidance, covering how to approach professional dilemma SJT situations for your assessment. Designed to listen to as many times as you like, offline or online. For a free sample click here.
4) Our MSRA Mock Exams. Question papers and layouts similar to the real MSRA, our focused Mock Exams expose you to common areas that doctors struggle with. Explanations are to-the-point and based around key principles and guidance that you need to know. For our Mocks and bundles click here.
5) Our Flash Revision Cards. 150 highly focused teaching cards to use on the move. Covers all key UK guidelines as well as investigations and treatments for multiple common exam conditions. Posted to your home, worldwide. For samples click here.
Once in GP training
✓ Training is usually 3 years in total (full time)
✓ Usually 18 months in General Practice placements, 18 months in hospital rotations eg Paediatrics, Acute Medicine, Accident & Emergency etc
✓ Need to complete MRCGP to exit training, consists of 3 components:
On a final note…
If you are planning to apply for GP training I wish you good luck! General Practice is an extremely varied and rewarding career, as well as being one allows flexibility of work-life balance.
I look forward to supporting you through your successful selection process, as well as once in GP training as well!
Good luck and #CanPassWillPass
Dr Aman Arora is a GP who is now 100% committed to transforming medical education, helping doctors across the globe to ace their exams and enhance their careers. He is proud to hold FRCGP (Fellow of Royal College of General Practitioners). Previous roles include:
- GP Training Programme Director
- NHS GP Appraiser
- GMC PLAB 2 Examiner
- GP Recruitment Examiner
- GP Recruitment Question-writer
- HEWM IMG Board Member
- HEWM Advanced MRCGP AKT Trainer
Dr Pooja Arora is a GP with a background in Medical Politics, passionately focusing on improving the opportunities and working conditions for junior doctors. Previous roles include:
- Vice Chair Birmingham LMC
- BMA Council Member
- BMA General Practitioners Committee elected representative
- BMA Sessional GP Committee elected representative
- BMA National Deputy Policy lead for working at scale
- HEE GP Ambassador
- HEE GP Stage 3 Assessor
- RCGP Midland Faculty AiT representative
* Blogs written by Dr Aman and Dr Pooja Arora are not for professional, financial or medical advice. Please seek appropriate professional, legal or financial advice where appropriate *
Dr Aman’s free revision video direct to your inbox every evening!
Other blogs that may interest you
Latest 3 blogs
If you are preparing for MSRA – either for GP or Speciality Entry – this blog is for you! For our ultimate and most comprehensive All-in-One MSRA Gold Pass Package click here. To watch back our last MSRA ‘2 week check webinar’ from August 2021 click here: https://youtu.be/5dDjJBpFsGc. To join our National GP Training Support group for daily MSRA …
Hello! If you are planning to sit the PLAB 1 exam then this blog is for you. I cover what it is, what to expect and how to prepare – my aim is to help as many of you as I can through this potentially tricky exam. Having been a GMC PLAB 2 examiner, and …